Saturday, August 18, 2012

A South American Adventure

I can't believe it's already August! It feels like I was just spending my New Year's Eve in Dubai last night. I've had an incredibly busy summer as my senior year of high school creeps closer and closer, but I'll finally get a chance to relax with a family vacation to Peru. This may be my last great opportunity to travel with my family before I go off to college, so I'll have to savor every moment. Today I'll be departing from Boston Logan Airport on a flight to Miami, and from there we'll connect to Lima, Peru's capital.

I really haven't had much time to think about and prepare for this trip, but that's the beauty of travel. When travelling anywhere, emphasis should be placed not on the destination, but rather on the journey there. I'm very excited to visit South America (and the Southern Hemisphere for that matter) for the first time, and no matter what kind of calamities or unexpected obstacles we may face on the way, I'll learn something and have experiences to share.

Our plan revolves around three main cities/settlements, but this could change at any point. After spending a full day in Lima, we'll fly over to Cusco, known for being the capital of the Inca Empire until the late 16th century. Once we've learned all about the Incas in this former great capital, we'll take a train to what may be the pinnacle of our trip: Macchu Pichu. I've always wanted to visit this glorious mountaintop settlement to fully immerse myself in the beauty of the unique Incan architecture and surrounding landscape, so this really is a great opportunity.

As usual, I'll try my best to keep the blog updated on a daily basis, and I'll try to upload as many pictures as I can. Fortunately, there should be no jet lag (since Peru is only one hour behind EST), so I may have some more energy to do some more interesting things with the blog.

Until I've arrived in Peru (or wherever the plane may take us), adiĆ³s!

No comments: